Nigeria is a country where economic deficit and unemployment have become the order of the day. In a quest to beat hunger and poverty, so many are fighting hard to settle for a good business that will fetch them a suitable income. However, due to low capital, many startups are mostly stalked at which business to start with the little money they have. In order to tackle this issue, we made some research and are able to find out the top 10 business ideas in Nigeria you can start with 100,000 Naira.
You can surf through this article if you’ve been wondering about the type of business to start with 100,000 Naira in Nigeria.
Top 10 Business Ideas in Nigeria You can Start With 100,000 Naira
Here are the top 10 business ideas in Nigeria you can start with 100,000 Naira:
1. POS/E-PAYMENT: POS (point of sales) tops the list of business ideas in Nigeria you can start with 100,000 Naira for obvious reasons. Basically, because financial transactions are an integral part of human life and the banking sector habitually fails to live up to people’s expectations in that regard.
POS serves as a subtle alternative to banking transactions and saves people from wasting their precious time that could be spent on something productive in bank hall queuing because of basic financial transactions. Financial transactions such as transfer of funds and withdrawals, payment of bills (DSTV, GOTV, PHCN), recharging of airtime, and selling of data among others can be taken care of by POS.
Things to Consider While Choosing a POS Location
Below are a few things to consider while choosing a location for your POS business:
- GSM network/Internet: Ensure your POS business is situated in an area with a very good GSM network, to ensure hitch-free business transactions.
- Proximity to banks: Another important thing you should consider before choosing a place to locate your POS business is how close the area is to the banking area. Locating your POS in an area very close to the banking area may lead to poor patronage. This is because the majority of people may rather prefer to visit the bank for their transactions since it is close by.
- Security: Ensure the place you want to place your POS business is secured and has little or no history of crimes. This is because you will be dealing with cash daily which makes you vulnerable and a soft target for criminals if the location is not secured.
Things You Need to Start up a POS Business
- business capital
- space/shop or container
- a banner
- POS machine for the operation of the business. You can get your POS machines from banks like GTB, UBA, Zenith, First Bank, Access Bank, Polaris Bank, and other banks
2. Phones and other gadgets charging: Phones and gadgets charging is another good business idea in Nigeria that you can start with as low as 100,000 Naira. This business booms because the electricity supply in most states of the country is unstable and unreliable.
Another factor is that the cost of petrol for generators that could have served as an alternative power supply has become expensive and unaffordable. Hence, most lower and middle-class citizens who cannot always afford to purchase petrol for their generators often resort to phone-charging vendors, paying a minimum of 100naira to get their phones and other gadgets charged.
What to Consider While Choosing Phones and other gadgets charging Location
Below are some of the things to consider while choosing a phone and gadget charging business location:
- The Availability of Electricity in the Area: It is preferable to locate your business in an area with a poor electricity supply. This will make it possible for people to patronize your business.
Things you Need to Start Phones and other gadgets charging Business
Some of the things you will be needing to kick-start the business are:
- a container/space, a covered or shaded stall
- a small generator for the power supply
- fuel to power the generator
- original chargers and desktop
- an electric socket board with multiple electronic sockets for charging.
3. Mobile food vendor and delivery business: Food is an important aspect of human existence that is simply inevitable. Regardless of the situation, we must always find something to eat. This, and other reasons are why online food vending and delivery business is another good business idea that you can start with 100,000 Naira.
At the moment, a good number of people find it difficult to cook food at home due to the nature of their work and busy schedules; hence, they result in employing the services of these food vendors. Working-class, students and artisans are some examples of people that fall into this category.
While starting a mobile food vendor business, one needs to have learned or possess cooking skills, which will give you a sharp edge over your competitors, as you have many alternatives like eateries, restaurants, and other mobile food vendors racing to have your customers. Your ability to prepare delicious, nice and affordable meals will set you above your competitors.
Things you Need to Start a Mobile food vendor and delivery business
- Fast and reliable means of transportation
4. Copywriting: Copywriting is one of the most profitable online businesses. You can start up a career with an amount as low as 100,000 Naira and even below. If you have good writing skills and firm control of language, then this business is perfect business for you.
The copywriting business comes in different forms: it could be writing advert copy, blog posts, video scripts, presentations, direct mails, jingles, creative content, and so on. The main task of a copywriter is to make convincing content in a way to persuade or promotes a certain product, idea, service, or cause. A copy, when well written, can perform magic on any product or service.
It can be done as full-time or a side hustle that guarantees a return on investment if one knows his or her onions very well.
Particularly, students, who have good writing skills, can explore this business opportunity to support their parents in catering to their academic financial needs.
The salaries of a copywriter in Nigeria range from 100,000 –300,000 naira depending on the nature of copy and organization. Some copywriters also charge clients per word. On average, a copywriter charges 11-20,000 Naira per 1,000 words.
To get clients as a beginner in copywriting, you can apply for a position on the freelance job board, cold pitching, speak at conferences/workshops, and promote your business on professional platforms like LinkedIn
How to Build a Copywriting Skill
Apart from having an inherent writing skill, copywriting just like every other skill can also be learned. You can build from scratch or improve your copywriting skills by reading books on copywriting, watching copywriting videos on YouTube, following copywriting blogs, and taking copywriting courses on online learning platforms such as Udemy and Coursera. Getting a copywriter as a mentor can also be of immense benefit while you are trying to improve or learn copywriting.
Things you Need to Start Copywriting
- a smartphone or preferably a laptop system
- a good internet connection
- an adequate power supply
5. Graphic design: Graphic design is a process of projecting images to communicate a particular message. It combines different elements to communicate a message to an audience.
Corporate organizations, government establishments, politicians, partisans, and virtually every sphere of human endeavor employ the services of graphic designers. While contemplating venturing into graphic design, it is important to get yourself acquainted with the basics and fundamentals of graphic design such as hierarchy, color, typography, lines, shapes, balance, texture, alignment, proximity, and contrast.
Graphic designing just like other digital skills does not require having a particular shop/space, what is most important is learning the skill. There are various ways you can learn graphics design which include: watching graphic design videos on YouTube and also paying a professional for master classes where you will be trained on the fundamentals of graphics and how to monetize the skill.
Things you Need to Start Graphic designing
- a laptop and smartphones.
Note: for laptop design, you will be needing software like Corel draw, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and other similar software, and you will also be needing applications like Canva, Pixellab, and Logo maker.
6. Selling of clothes: Clothes form part of the three basic needs of man. Hence, selling clothes is one of the lucrative business ideas in Nigeria that can be started with a relatively low capital of 100,000 Naira and below.
Some of the types of clothes to sell include, children’s wear, native wear, English wear, jeans, and underwear among others. Purchasing of these wear for resales can be made at popular clothes markets, such as Balogun market, Onitsha main market, Aba Market, and others.
You may not necessarily need a shop from the onset to start the business. You can simply purchase clothes and deliver them to the doorsteps of your customers. One of the qualities you must possess to make it big in the business is the ability to convince your customers of the need to purchase your product. It is also important to have a good relationship with your customers who can in turn help to refer you to other potential customers for patronage.
7. Laundry business: Due to the busy nature of most people’s jobs, it is difficult to create time for washing clothes, and that is where the laundry service provider comes in.
The good thing about the business is that you can comfortably work from the comfort of your home without necessarily owning a personal shop or space.
Things You Need to Start a Laundry Business
- washing machine
- generator in case of a power failure.
Laundry just like most other businesses requires you to be honest. As a laundry service provider, you must at all times be a promise keeper by ensuring the readiness of your customers’ clothes when due. It is also important you establish good connections with your customers in order to improve the chances of referral to other potential customers.
8. Shawarma selling business: Shawarma is a snack that is made of beef or chicken filling. It has over the years become one of the favorite snacks of people, most especially the younger generation. This lucrative business idea can be actualized with as little as 100,000 Naira and below.
Ensure that you first get trained on the process of shawarma making. You won’t want to start the business without a proper understanding of how it is made and start selling low-quality shawarma to your customers. This will kill your business even before it starts.
After getting trained, the next thing is to look for a good location where you can situate your business. Preferably, it is good to locate your shawarma spot in an urban area where you can easily meet with your target audience. Places like students’ areas, supermarket surroundings, the entrance to an estate, bar, hotel, and T-junctions are a few of the best spots you can locate your shawarma business in order to make a high profit and return on investment on the business.
Things You Need to Start a to Start a Shawarma Business
- shawarma toaster
- show glass
- insect killer for flies.
9. Data reselling business: we live in a digital era where the world has become a global village and everyone needs to be connected to stay informed about what is happening in their immediate environment and the world at large. To this end, purchasing and having a data plan becomes inevitable.
According to a 2021 report from Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC), Nigerians consume an excess of 80,000 terabytes of data every month.
A data reseller is an individual who purchases data in bulk from VTU platforms and telecommunication companies at a relatively cheap price and then resells it to customers at his or her convenience rate.
Things You Need to Start a Data Reselling Business
- a laptop or smartphone
- capital for the initial purchase
- good internet connections
- a bank account as a medium of payment.
To make money from this business, you need to be a good marketer, this means that you must be actively able to advertise your business through face-to-face communication and your various social media platforms. You should also reduce the price of your data plans to give you a sharp edge over your competitors and equally convince your customers to purchase data from you as against buying it directly from their network service provider.
10. Declutter agents business: As a declutter agent, you simply rake in your money by helping sellers to display their products for potential buyers to see if satisfied with the product, the buyer makes the payment and you get your own percentage from the proceeding of the sales. Your job is that of a middleman who connects buyers and sellers. Declutter agent business is one of the fastest routes to financial freedom on Instagram.
There is virtually nothing that can’t be sold via decluttering agents. Products such as furniture, mattresses, generator, television, and fans are a few examples of varieties of things that can be sold and bought through the declutter platform.
This business does not also require a particular geographical location. It is a remote business that can be done in the comfort of your bedroom.
Things You Need to Start a Declutter Agent Business
- a smartphone
- Instagram accounts
- data bundle
- adequate power supply
- Having high followers on Instagram is also an added advantage. The more the number of your followers, the more chances of buying and selling through your platform, and the more you make money from the business.
- It is also important to have a good online reputation, as this will improve people’s trust in you and their chances of making sales and purchases through your platform.
If you are looking for a business idea to start with 100,000 Naira in Nigeria, you can choose from the few businesses listed above.
Top 10 business ideas in Nigeria you can start with 100,000 Naira